How To Read Your Water Bill
Regardless of whether you view your bill online, or receive it in the mail, there’s a lot of information packed onto it. At first the information found on your bill may appear rather daunting, but once the various items are explained you will quickly realize how easy the bill is to interpret. Once you know how to read the bill, you will further understand when your meter is read, how many days the bill is for, and other information regarding your water account.
- Present Reading This is the reading obtained from the meter when it was read most recently. Normally this would be just a few days before the mailing of the water bill.
- Previous Reading This is the reading obtained from when the meter was read prior to the Present Reading. In most cases, this would be around 30 days prior to the present reading.
- Gallons Used This is the gallons of water used between the Present and Previous readings.
- Water Charges This area shows the amount you owe for your water usage. If you have a credit, or past due amount, it will be shown here as well.
- Other Charges In some cases, you may also show charges for other services such as city sewer or garbage collection. If that's the case, it will show up here.
- Date Mailed This is the date your bill was printed and mailed.
- Account Number and Physical Address This area shows your account number, as well as the physical address of your water meter. This may or may not be the same as the mailing address shown below.
- Due Date This is the date your bill is due.
- Total Due This is the full amount you currently owe.
- Service From This is the beginning date of the current bill's service period.
- Service To This is the ending date of the current bill's service period. Above this, you'll find the number of days that the current bill is for.
- Auto-Draft Message If your bill is currently being auto-drafted, you'll see your draft date shown here. At times, other messages may possibly be shown here.
- Scheduled Disconnect Message If your bill is currently scheduled for disconnect due to a past due bill, you'll see a notice here. At times, other messages may possibly be shown here.
- Misc. Message This is a miscellaneous message area. Various customer information will appear here when necessary.
- Mailing Address This is your current mailing address, and is where the bill is being mailed to.